Happiness is a Bubbling Carboy…Training Wheels CPA

Go yeast go!

Last weekend I had the opportunity to teach my SWIMBO’s uncle how to brew. Because teaching a new brewer the ropes makes for a busier brew-day I didn’t have time to blog the recipe…so here is is a week late.

This recipe is pretty straight forward – a Canadian Pale Ale, which much like history, is a blend of English and American influences. Namely, it incorporates the more interesting malt profile of an English ale, but hopped with “new” American-style hops at a modest (modest, how Canadian!) rate. Hopefully a beer I will enjoy, but not too crazy for a new brewer/light beer drinker.

The Recipe:
The recipe is dead-simple, for 40 L (10 US gallons):

  • 8 kg Canadian pale ale malt (Maris Otter would be a good substitute)
  • 0.45 kg Caramunich I
  • 0.45 kg Caramunich II
  • Enough bittering hops (14.8 g of Northern Brewer @ 8.5%) at 60 min to get to 36 IBU after late additions.
  • 28 g of a 50:50 mix of Citra + Centennial whole hops at 15, 10, 5 minutes before the end of the boil + a final 15 min whirlpool addition (i.e. 112 g total)
  • Irish moss, 15 min before the end of the boil
  • Safale US-05 (2 packs)
Mash @ 66.7C (152F) for 60 min, then sparge & boil for 60 min. If everything goes right, the beer should come in at 36 IBU, SG of 1.049, ~9 SRM.
Ferment started in my pantry, which sits at ~16 C (~60 F) for 5 days, followed by moving it next to the furnace for the final 5 days at ~20 C (~68 F). As you can see above, even at 16 C the ferment was pretty active. The expected FG (1.010) was hit in 4 days, but there is still some bubbling going on, so it may drop a little lower.
The Brew Day:
Brew day was completely, totally and utterly uneventful. Which, given this was a brewday where I was teaching someone how to brew, was exactly what I was hoping for. We slightly exceeded our expected gravity (1.051), and hit our planned volume dead-on. The beer was chilled to 25 C, and then split between 2 x 23L (6 US gallon) carboys fitted with blow-off tubes which were transferred to my pantry where it cooled for 5 hours to 17 C, prior to adding the yeast. Five days later I fitted the carboy’s with air locks and moved them next to the furnace to ensure diacetyl reduction and complete attenuation. As of today we’re 6 days away from brew-day and 5 days prior to kegging. Hopefully, tasting notes will be posted in about 2 weeks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *