One week after the Iron Brewer Challenge it is time for another brew-day – this time without weird adjuncts. On today’s menu is the Black Mamba Rye IPA – a bold, strong black IPA featuring a hefty dose of rye malt and the crispness that brings to a beer. In addition, todays brew sees the end of the Cascade hops (about 1oz) that I grew last summer. Indeed, this beer is a celebration of Cascade – other than a bit of Warrior for bittering & a touch of a late addition, all of the hop flavour and aroma will be from Cascade.
This recipe is largely one of my creation and is meant to be simple – the classical Black IPA grains of Victory malt (or Special malt; I have victory on-hand), dehusked dark malt (Carafa Special II), mixed with a 2.5:1 mix of pale malt and rye; typical of many rye-based beers. The mash is low-and-slow, to give a dry-finishing beer. With the rye this may lead to a too-dry finish, but I have taken two steps to balance that out – I hope. The first is relying on cascade as a hop – it should give a spicy/citrusy character that will provide a balancing fruitness to the beer. I am then accentuating that using the legendary Conan yeast, which should provide some additional fruity esters – notably apricot – to further balance the crispness of the rye and the highly fermentable wort.
|Black Mamba IPA|
|American IPA (Black)|
|Type: All Grain||Date: 30 Mar 2014|
|Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l||Boil Size: 30.27 l|
|Boil Time: 75 min||End of Boil Volume 23.40 l|
|Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG||Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG|
|Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG||Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.6 %|
|Bitterness: 59.0 IBUs||Est Color: 29.6 SRM|
|Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge||Total Grain Weight: 7.40 kg|
|Sparge Water: 18.38 l||Grain Temperature: 18.0 C|
|Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C||Tun Temperature: 18.0 C|
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (3.12l, 15.26l) of 75.6 C water
Carbonation and Storage
|Carbonation Type: Keg||Volumes of CO2: 2.3|
Created with BeerSmith
- Mashed in dead-on 65C. Because its a cooler day I wrapped a hammock and jacket around my MLT to keep the heat in. Temperature cooled less than half a degree over this time, despite the below-freezing weather! Conversion tested as complete at the 1 hour mark, but I mashed an additional 15 minutes to ensure a highly fermentable wort.
- Added ~5L of water at boiling to mash-out, then collected the first batch sparge. This was followed by a second 13L batch sparge at 75C. Pre-boil gravity was 1.053; slightly lower than the expected 1.055, but I also appear to have an extra litre of wort or so, perhaps accounting for the difference.
- All pellet hop additions were done using my new hop-spider, but the whole hops were added directly into the copper.
- I ended up missing my OG by quite a bit – I only got 1.059 where I was expecting something around 1.070. I suspect it may have been the rye – its kernels are smaller than barley, so it may have crushed poorly. This means this beer may taste more bitter than planned, although it should still be well within style.