Many of the articles and videos I prepare are part of larger series on a specific brewing topic. A complete list of these series and all videos/articles in them, can be found below. A complete list of my videos can be found on my youtube page.
Posts on Brewing Methods
Posts on a variety of brewing methods
- My quick (warm) lagering method
- Lactobacillus starters
- My sour worting (kettle souring) method
Making Belgian Candi Sugar
A series of posts on making your own candi sugar at home, with simple ingredients.
Fact or Fiction – Can Pathogens Survive in Beer?
A blog series on the pathogens that can make our beer their home, and an assessment of their risk
- Fact of Fiction – Can Pathogens Survive in Beer? Part I – Of Course They Can (focused on bacterial pathogens).
- Fact or Fiction – Can Pathogens Survive in Beer? Part II – Moulds.
- Fact or Fiction – Can Pathogens Survive in Beer? Part III – The RDWHAHB Edition.
Beer on the Brain Video Series
Short (<5 minute) videos on brewing science, brewing processes and beer myths
- Intro to BotB
- Can Starsan Kill Yeast?
- Your Lyin’ Hydrometer
- Where do the Wild Yeast Roam?
- Sugar in Yeast Starters?
Your Home Yeast Lab Made Easy
A series of videos on setting up a yeast lab in your home, and how to apply basic microbiological techniques to the collection, storage and handling of yeast & other brewery organisms.
- Setting up your workspace
- Building & using an alcohol lamp
- Aseptic Techniques
- Streak Plates
- Preparing Agar Plates
- Choosing a Microscope
- DIY Yeast Bank using Slants
- Storing Yeast by Refrigeration and Freezing
- Preparing a Yeast Starter from a Slant or Plate
Capturing Wild Yeasts
Video series on methods to capture and use wild yeasts.
- My method for capturing wild yeasts
- Isolating pure strains of wild yeast
- Identifying Yeast and Bacteria
Hunting Wild Yeasts
A series of blog posts about my attempts to capture elusive wild yeasts.
- Introduction – an overview of the project.
- Old School Identification of Wild Yeasts & Bacteria – A rough outline of how I will not be identifying the yeasts in this project – namely, morphological + biochemical identification
- Identifying Yeasts Using Ribosomal Sequencing – A high-tech way of identifying wild an domestic yeasts & bacteria.
- Yeast Identification Test – the first test (and somewhat of a failure using PCR & DNA sequencing to identify yeast.
- Yeast Identification Test Part Deux – the second test of my sequencing method to identify yeast. The method worked, with limitations…
- First Wild Yeast Hunt – my first hunt for wild yeast, using yeast captured from 2-row Canadian malt.
- Another Yeast Identification Test – this time a success.
- 2014 Wild Yeast Hunt – this time using fruit & vegetables from my wife’s garden as a yeast source.
- Youtube Video and Slides from a talk I gave to the Jersey City Brew Club on collecting wild yeasts.
Using PCR to Identify Contamination in Beer
A short series of posts on a method to detect the presence of bacteria and Saccharomyces cerevesia variant diastaticus.