Last night, somewhere around midnight, 2016 came to an end…meaning its time for my annual look back at the year that was.
The Good: Both my blog and youtube channel continue to grow in popularity; my blog reaching 394k views, and my youtube channel 103k views. Most of the beers this year came out either good or excellent, including what may have been my best Berliner Weisse to-date. My brewing output is up slightly over last year – 16 beers/ciders, plus a few batches of wine. I added a bunch of fun yeasts to the yeast bank, and found two new loves in the form of Kveik yeast and fast-lagering with W34/70.
Of course, this year was also my 20th brewversary, and the celebration of that went well…and is still continuing.
The Bad: Brewing output is still down compared to historical norms, and I ran dry a few times this year. My posting of both blog posts and youtube videos has also suffered this year, despite starting a new series of short videos intended to overcome last years rather meagre offerings.
The Ugly: Turns out I was growing my hops all wrong…I hope to fix that in 2017.
Some Quick Stats
- Most popular post of 2016: Casting Agar Plates
- Most commented post of 2016: Fact or Fiction: Can Pathogens Survive in Beer (Mould Edition)
- Most popular video of 2016: Your Home Yeast Lab Made Easy – Making Agar Plates
- Top Viewing Countries of 2016: United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Barbados, Canada
- Top Traffic Sources of 2016: Google, Facebook, Milk the Funk Wiki