Although I’ve been plagued with a series of infected brews lately, I have managed to prepare one brew during the infection-fest. My 50,002 was a partigyle’d beer brewed off of my (unfortunately infected) all-brett Russian Imperial Stout.
I wasn’t too sure what I was going to get out of this beer – I was expecting something along the lines of a dark mild. Instead, I’ve got something more like the bastard child of a mild and a stout.
Appearance: Black, but if you hold it upto a lights its a deep ruby-red. The head is light-tan in colour, course, and lasts for a few minutes after pouring.
Aroma: A bit of roast and malt. Willamette aroma is present but subtle.
Flavour: The flavour of this beer is deceptively mild given the dark colour. The roast notes are present, but subdued. Even so, they are the dominant flavour. These roast notes are somewhat balanced by a slight maltiness and a bit of hop bitterness. The beer is a little watery and too thin in the body for my liking. Somehow the aftertaste manages to be a mix of sweetness and a subtle lingering hop bitterness – despite an absence of sweetness elsewhere.
Mouthfeel: Thin and watery; no astringency or drying sensation. For a mild this would have been spot-on, but there isn’t quite enough to support the darker malts and flavours of this beer.
Overall: I’ve made far better beers, and far worse beers as well. Given this beer was made using leftover hops from a previous batch and by rinsing the grain bed of a bigger beer, I cannot complain too much. Its easy drinking, and has a pleasant flavour. I don’t see myself making this exact beer again, but if I were I’d not change much other than using DME in place of the sugar I added to build the alcohol level.